A great book on how to lead effective teams is The Secret of Teams by Mark Miller.
His key point is that effective teams and leaders get great results by focussing on three things; Talent, Skills and Community. For each of these areas, a good team leader must take care of certain responsibilities:
- Identify the over-arching talent needs of the team (current needs and future needs).
- Always look out for talent. Recruitment can take place at any time.
- Never compromise on character, competence or chemistry when recruiting a new person.
- With the team, identify the skills needed for the team to succeed.
- Identify skills gaps.
- Teach the team the skills they need.
- Provide resources to close the skills gap.
- Value community as much as talent and skills.
- Be vulnerable and transparent.
- Invest team time in community building.
- Help the team find ways to do life together.
If leaders can do those things, effective teams are created, and can deliver great results.
Mark Williamson is a founding director of One Rock International. He’s a lay preacher and leader within the Methodist Church, author of a biography on John Wesley, and is currently researching for a biography on William Wilberforce. He enjoys good films, good food, praying for London, and going for long walks with his wife Joanna.